Thursday, July 5, 2012

My New Computer

I finally have one! I finally have my own computer. My own NEW computer!

Kate wanted to surprise me. She tried, anyway. She came home one day a little giddier than usual. I had a musical show that night, and right before I left, she was jumping up and down repeating "PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE!!" wanting to tell me her secret. Mind you, her original plan was to keep her secret until the computer arrived a week later and just bring it home to me. She ended up only lasting a couple of hours. At any rate, she eventually told me that she had ordered me a new computer, the exact one I had been looking at! :-)
Here it is! It's a Mid 2012 11" MacBook Air. She decided to get the upgraded 2.0GHz processor, which I hadn't originally suggested to her, but she likes to spoil me! The other stats include 8GB of RAM and the 128GB solid-state hard drive.

This thing is amazing! It's so fast! The solid-state drive makes booting an application instantaneous. It's almost unreal how such a powerful and fast machine could be contained in such a small body. At 0.68" thick and only 2.65lbs, it's a very compact machine, which is perfect, because I will be traveling a fair bit for auditions and such (in the next few years) and having a powerful and portable machine is something that will suit me wonderfully.

So far I have had no issues with it (some people have been having constant crashes with this machine) and if I could say anything about it, I would just say under heavy processing, it gets very hot. I was running a program to monitor the different temps and one reading was saying the CPU was getting up to 93 degrees Celsius (200 degrees Fahrenheit)! Of course, this was during heaving video processing that I have since decided not to do on my computer anymore.

Other than that, this computer is fantastic! I have been an Apple fanboy ever since I got my Early 2008 MacBook Pro three years ago, and this new computer just further confirms that fact. I love the design, I love the utility and of course, I love the person who gave it to me! Thanks Kate! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment